[...music...]
a log of cd's purchased + shows attended + other stuff.
mogwai!

my favourite mogwai tracks are "x-mas steps" and "my father my king", the ones that are loud. i like loud mogwai, which explains why i was disappointed with their previous studio release; it sounded weak to me. when i heard that they were releasing a new recording this year, i did not care much for it, thinking it'll be another soft album.

a couple of months ago, i heard an internet leak of "mr. beast", and i was immediately excited! they rock hard on this one! the new tracks have loud guitars and lots of drama! the sound is thick and heavy! just the way i like it.

the album was released in north america today. of course, after school, i went straight to hmv to get a copy. i even got the "special limited edition" that includes a dvd with "the recording of".

the opening track sounds like an ending, a denouement, where all is explained and understood, and "thank you very much for listening, you can go home now". i find it odd that the album starts this way, but it kind of works.

the rest of the songs are good. after just a couple of listens, not one in particular stands out to me. not yet.

the closing track is killer. the song builds up, with wave after wave of guitars. it reminds me a lot their epic "my father my king". in fact, it's like a lean version of "my father my king", without the two minutes of quiet build-up, nor the extra ten minutes of noise and distortion.

i love this album so much. it will definitely be one of my favourites of this year. i know that it will not leave my cd player this week.

oh, i cannot wait for them to tour, and i hope they come to montreal so that i can get my eardrums damaged for one evening...!

~~~

Labels: ,

comments: