[...music...]
a log of cd's purchased + shows attended + other stuff.
mogwai @ metropolis

sunday, two weeks ago, i went to the mogwai show with rox. we had bought tickets for the show that was originally scheduled in september, but postponed until now. of course, this was mogwai (!) so there was no way i would miss this.

the openers were the twilight sad. previously, i had only heard their "here, it never snowed, afterwards it did" ep, a folk-ish release. the live show was more rock. of all the times i have seen mogwai, this is the first time i have liked the opening band. the songs were catchy; the songer's scottish accent was quite strong, rolling his r's. the only songs i recognized were "and she would darken the memory" and "cold days from the birdhouse".

the twilight sad:



this was my fourth time seeing mogwai, so i kind of knew what to expect: a good mix of the loud, the soft, and the epic. it was my first time watching them from a seat on the balcony; we had a pretty good view of the whole stage.









setlist taken from bright light:
- yes! i am a long way from home
- scotland's shame
- travel is dangerous
- killing all the flies
- i love you, i'm going to blow up your school
- autorock
- i'm jim morrison, i'm dead
- small children in the background
- hunted by a freak
- mogwai fear satan
- thank you space expert
- 2 rights make 1 wrong

encore:
- like herod
- batcat

no, they did not play my absolute favourite "christmas steps". but they did play"2 rights make 1 wrong", and i captured a video:



also, they did not play the epic "my father my king" as an encore. but that's alright, because they ended with "like herod", followed by the very loud "batcat". again, a video:



mogwai doesn't disappoint; i was quite giddy that night.

~~~

cd purchase: i got the twilight sad's ep "here, it never snowed, afterwards it did".



hearing damage: my ears were ringing the rest of the night; that was expected.

~~~

Labels: , , , ,

comments:

Aha! This is Colin. I thought I'd seen you right behind me in the lineup, I just wasn't sure I'd recognized you properly. :p

I got to see Mogwai twice this tour, since I was in Vancouver last year. I went right in front again this time, and my ears certainly hurt afterwards even with earplugs. Somehow I'm not surprised it'd feel the same from the balcony.

I'm kinda sad that for all three shows I've seen they haven't played Cody once. Out of all their softer songs it's my favourite, but it gets so little live play...

J'ai bien aime the twilight sad, mais je trouvais que leurs chansons se ressemblaient trop. Leur drummer est pas mal fort though. Et c'etait definitivement mieux que Torche!

hi colin!

i knew you'd be at this show. and same here, i wasn't sure i recognized you when waiting in line... sorry, i guess i should have said 'hi' anyway.

it's so cool you got to see them twice this tour. mogwai have a large enough discography that the two sets were probably quite varied? but since they have so many songs, it means they don't always end up playing the favourites...